Old 15-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Rex Grigg

Default Riccia for Idiots

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 16:23:10 GMT, "coelacanth"
wrote:

Ok, it looks like your CO2 is too low. Also it's very possible that
you may have too much water movement for the Ricca to do well. And I
have found that some Ricca just doesn't like higher temps.

You see my thinking--I just wanted easy plants which were
not too picky. I thought riccia would be a good floating plant
to provide some natural cover and keep the algae down that
grows near the water line. I tried Lemna, but it didn't seem
to like tropical temperatures. Maybe there is another
floating plant I could use?

I have 110 Watts of 4600K light on a 24" tall (40 gallon)
tank. The fixture is some sort of mutant CF retrofit that I
inherited, but the bulb is only a couple of months old.

Other parameters that might be relevant: The setup is about 2
years old. I do H2O changes every 1-2 weeks of 25%. The
pH is 7.4, KH is insanely high (more than 19 dH). Fairly low
stocking levels (3 adult angels, 4 3" clown loaches, some
vague number of corys).

-coelacanth

"Rex Grigg" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 21:30:47 GMT, "coelacanth"
wrote:

Give us a little more info on your tank. How much light do you have?
The plants you have listed can survive on much lower light than Ricca
can.

AHHH--I'm a plant retard. I can not get riccia to grow!
Everything else in my tanks is growing fine (Val, Sword,
Java Fern, Crypts) and I have CO2, but my riccia just
keeps shrinking. What started as 2 cups+ is down to 3
tablespoons worth and diminishing. Does anyone have
any good propagation tips?!?

-coelacanth (who will next be asking how to breathe)

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com