Old 15-06-2003, 03:20 AM
dstaples

Default has any one had experience with the Grinding types of machines

Look into a devise called a Hydroax, may be cheaper. I assume your in the
south, what part?

--
DS
"John Ponder" wrote in message
Thanks Bob,
That sounds good but 140$ an acre..... let me think about that some.
We have never busted 100$ an acre using big stuff but then again we
arent getting mulch either, on the other hand I want to level it all
so cost would be even higher. If you could half that by renting it
might be feasable. On a side note has any one ever heard of running a
cutter like a lawn mower and just flat burning?
On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:59:20 GMT, "Bob Weinberger"
wrote:

"John Ponder" wrote in message
snip
Has anyone ever used one of these.

snip

Used one about 10 yrs ago on a test basis to mechanically thin about 40

acres of natural Ponderosa
pine saplings that were runnimg over 2000 stems/ac.- took it down to

about 225 stems/ac. The machine
was called a Slashbuster and was mounted on a Kabelco loader (I think

about Cat 225 size). It did a
beautiful job and left the ground covered with a nice mulch, with the

largest pieces being maybe 2' x
2" - no slash hazard.
It was pretty spendy though. IIRC it it worked out to $140-$150/ac with

operator.

--

Bob Weinberger
Forest Management Consulting

forestry DOT management AT verizon DOT net