Old 15-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Cass

Default Roses Fertilizing and Drip Irrigation

In article , Jon Boehm
wrote:

Hello,

I'm completely new to gardening and roses, but I thought I would start
out right and install an automatic irrigation system. So now I have a
dip system set up and 16 roses in my garden. Each rose has one, 1
gallon emitter on its uphill side at the drip line.

My question is, how do I fertilize these roses? Since I'm using a drip
system the fertilizer will not get into the soil unless it rains. When
the drip system is active the water immediately soaks into the soil and
does not contact the fertilizer on the surface.

Jon, you didn't ask about the drip emitter, but depending on your
summer rainfall, a 1 gallon emitter might not be adequate. Where are
you located and what kind of summer rain do you get?

As for fertilizer, I used a long-term (11 month) Osmocote Plus which I
apply in a single hole using a dibble, right under the dripper (I use
shrublers). Works fine. In the early spring while the soils are still
cold, I apply granular ferts on the surface. I also apply water soluble
and organic stuff periodically during the growing season, as the spirit
moves me, which isn't very often except for potted roses.

HTH.

--
-=-
Cass