Old 15-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Default Catt growing pattern (strang?)

First , let's get some terminology straight.

Cattleyas are sympodial plants, meaning that each successive plant grows
from a rhizome coming from the older plants.

The new growth consists of a short stem with a pseudobulb, which is topped
by one or two leaves. The translucent structure is known as a sheath, and
it protects newly-formed flower buds. Normally, as they grow, the buds will
split open the sheath and continue to grow and open normally. Sometimes it
pays to manually cut open the sheath, but if you do, be very careful, as the
buds and their stem are very fragile.

The structure that the flowers are on is known as an inflorescence, and in
catts, is usually in the form of a small raceme, but the term "spike" is
generically used to describe any inflorescence. Point your browser to the
URL below, and got to Free Information Inflorescences to see what I mean.

Now then, to answer your question: if the buds growing in the sheath still
have room to grow, you're probably better to leave it alone. It sounds like
you're doing the right things for the plant.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"gal" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I got one Catt in my collection and I have never seen the plant grow
before. I would like to hear if what is happening is "normal".
I bought the plant with 7 spikes and two flowers. The flowers die and
than two new spikes grew. The new spikes are now the largest and each
has one fully open leaf. Each leaf is about 10Intch long. Each of the
spikes has what looks like a folded leaf about 2Intch long. This fold
section is translucent and I can see something else inside it
(flower?). The folded section is glued on its rim. The plant has been
in this situation for at least two months. Now a new spike is growing
out of one of the new spikes.
The plant OK and I can see new roots growing here and there.

Is this normal?
Should I cut the folded section open?

Thanks

Gal