Old 15-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Alan Gould

Default grapevine

In article , Paul Taylor
writes
I have a grape vine which for the first time in three years has plenty of
small grapes forming. Do I need to do anything to encourage good size
grapes, e.g. feeding or pruning back the foilage?

Keep the soil moist, but not waterlogged - erratic watering will lead to
split grapes; no plant nutrients should be necessary if the vine has
access to healthy soil - i.e. not growing in a pot; if the vine is
outside, the fruit will take much longer to ripen; if it is inside you
should be summer pruning new stems - cut them back to two fruit buds
which will bear next year's grapes (they will need to be pruned again in
late autumn); if any of the bunches forming up have poor looking or ill
formed grapes amongst them you can pick those out to encourage the rest
of the bunch to grow larger; the longer you can leave bunches on, the
sweeter the grapes will be, but take off any which are developing fluffy
grey mould - a grey haze on the grapes is often seen but that is not a
disease and it can be removed before eating.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.