Old 15-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Toni

Default Non co2 nutrient plan?

I have a 90g (24" deep) planted tank that I am wanting to maintain without
use of CO2.

My water is pH 7.0, KH 1, and I have 220 watts of CF lighting, (half 9325º
half 6700º). I have used Onyx sand as a substrate, and the tank is filtered
by an Eheim 2026 and a Penquin 330. My hopes are to add Discus in the future
after the tank matures to some degree, so am dealing with warmer water. I
change 25% of the water once a week and replace with aged (outgassed) water.
Plants include:
Java fern
Java Moss
Amazon Swords
Pygmy swords
Rubin Sword
Anubias
Bolbitis
Crystal Vals
Onion plants
Water sprite
Hydroplila (giant and sunset)

Fish include:
Cardinal tetras
Diamond tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
Hatchet fish
Corydoras
Otocinclus
Farlowellas

I know that some of these plants (i.e.the sunset hydro) may not do well in a
moderately lighted tank, and that there are design flaws... we'll let that
go for the moment.
My question is regarding nutrients- I have here Flourish Excel, Flourish,
Flourish Iron, Flourish Potassium, and Flourish tabs. I have a tab near each
of the swords and larger plants. I understand that my fish provide the N and
the P.

Is there a "keep it simple stupid" method to keeping this tank presentable
without altering it's basic lighting/water/fish load ??
I prefer (at this point anyway) to buy prepared products. I know it is a
large tank and CO2 would be preferable, but until I get a handle on my KH
(hoping the Onyx sand will help)and grasp some basic water chemistry I am
staying away from CO2.
I am not wanting excessive growth nor showstopping results. I am wanting the
majority of my plants to stay healthily green.
I do not mind dosing daily. I am just looking for that elusive "simple plan"
of what to add when.
Does one exist?

--
Toni