Old 15-06-2003, 03:56 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Buttonwood

Lynn,
While trimming trees, root pruning, collecting and repotting here in NE Ohio
( At least) I've ALWAYS worked under the idea that "It takes roots to grow
foliage, and it takes foliage to grow roots", although this does NOT always
seem to be the norm in tropics as with buttonwood in particular.
I think very often keys-collected buttonwood are more rootless "stumps" than
not when collected. ( ones I've thrown out sure were!) But, I would rather
see people actually familiar with growing a lot of them and collecting a lot
of them answer questions about specific trees like these than folks just
stabbing in the dark. Alan, I'd sift through advice carefully here and note
where it came from. I gave up on them a few years ago and consider
buttonwoods like trying to overwinter a tomatoe plant here in Ohio although
I have friends who have been successful. ( They are a lost cause without
special lighting/heating which I'm not willing to invest for one plant) ,
but because I've had SEVERAL over the years I'd certainly not give advice on
growing them!
Dale Cochoy