Old 03-03-2003, 05:15 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Messinian climate

In article ,
(Jaak Suurpere) writes:

| It follows that many plants now growing in Azizija, or their
| ancestors, have heated to 58 degrees and lived. Actually, sunlight
| ground and plants on it could heat to higher temperatures than air in
| shadow!

They do, as I can witness. Thermophilic bacteria can take much
higher temperatures, too.

| It would seem likely that plants which can endure 58 degrees and low
| humidity could also endure 58 degrees and high humidity.

Not so. Inter alia, high humidity permits fungi to flourish. Few
USA plants would last a month in the humid tropics, and none from
outside the deep south would. But there would be plants that could
adapt, given long enough.

| Now, the area with currently the highest dewpoint temperatures -
| southern Red Sea region - does not really have that great absolute
| temperature maxima. What makes the heat troublesome for men - not
| intolerable, since they do live there, and long have - is the fact
| that there are consistent high temperatures with high humidity.

Fairly high. Not very high. Nowhere near the tropical jungles.

| Now try to imagine a region where night temperatures are in lower 40-s
| and day temperatures in upper 40-s, with high humidity. Occasional
| maxima might be somewhere in 50-s, with high humidity...
|
| Men would not endure. On the other hand, many plants might.

It is unclear, given enough water. I don't know whether mammals'
requirements are for a bound on the relative humidity dependent
on temperature, or for a margin in water vapour pressure between
ambient and maximal (i.e. dew point).

If the latter, mammals would survive. And we are fairly typical
in this respect.

| Not all the plants, though. I wonder which plants would choose to grow
| in such conditions?

Nothing current, but some of them could adapt.

| One more thing: these conditions might be unfavourable to many
| animals, including herbivores.

Yes, they would be.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:

Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679