Old 03-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Alan Silver

Default Plants with holes in leaves - nutrient deficiency ?

In article , LeighMo
writes
I saw a chart on a web page a while back that showed various plant
problems and the cause. I can't remember where it was now that I need
it!!

That would be Chuck's page:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

Thanx for the link, but that page doesn't mention my problem. A lot of
the plants have holes as the leaves grow. In the case of the
echinodorus, this means holes, in the case of the twisted vallis, this
means the leaves often break off completely. The nearest thing on his
page is pin-sized holes that slowly enlarge. Mine are bigger to start
with.

But I would look to the fish, first. Especially if you have loaches.
They like to bite holes in the leaves.

Fairly sure this isn't the problem. I've never seen any fish attacking
the leaves. It's also more of a recent problem. The only thing I can
think of is that I was using Tetra plant fertiliser liquid, but recently
started using PMDD (bought from someone who posted about it on this
group some time ago). That's why I wondered if it was a nutrient
deficiency. He said his recipe was from the FAQ.

Only other thought is that the bottle I use to store the PMDD liquid has
some white solids stuck to the bottom. This is probably one of the
ingredients that has settled. I always shake the bottle well before
dosing, but it could be that this ingredient is not in the liquid in
enough quantity. Could also be that I'm not using enough !! I'm a bit
nervous about putting too much on though.

Thanx for your reply. Any further help appreciated.

--
Alan Silver
Please remove the "furryferret" if replying by e-mail