Old 15-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Shiva

Default "Shovel Prune" Epiphany

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:44:40 -0700, "Emil" wrote:

I am in the same boat. I have "Grand Finale" planted in the front yard. FULL
sun, watered regularly, fertilized up the ying yang, and what do I get? Ugly
white roses, that sometimes don't open, and plain look like junk. If the
rose doesn't start acting normally, it shall be shovel pruned!

I hate to say this, but that makes me feel better, because I looked at
GF and instead chose Full Sail. Full Sail produces, as you say, "Ugly
white roses, that sometimes don't open, and plain look like junk" for
most of the year but in the few days of cooler, thripless weather we
have in the spring and fall, it produces truly lovely creamy white,
HUGE classic ht shaped blooms with great substance. Thick petals, long
vase life. I had to let it live.

I have JFK in the backyard, and that one doesn't perform well either.

It's the last time I buy white roses!

Well, Emil, you are in California, aren't you? Forgive my poor memory.
There is one white rose I really like, affter trying many. It is the
grandiflora White Lightening. Smallish, ruffly blooms, not great form,
but a great lemony scent and does not stop blooming here.

This year the baby grafted Crystalline will not stop putting out big
blooms, though it was a bare root planting in March. Very lovely,
classic form, snowy white with no yellow. But it is too new to tell.

I am not fond of white roses because everything shows up on them--and
they tend to age badly. But, just as with my quest for the best
purple, I am driven to find the best white because someone I adore
loves white roses. If we can't do something for love, why do anything
at all?

Emil
Zones 9-10