Old 03-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default Rocks in Filter?

BenignVanilla wrote:
What kind of rock is most popular in filters and why?

--
BenignVanilla
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

No rocks in the filter. They makes it a real pain to clean.
When I built my first veggie filter I put in two inches of
1" stone as suggested. A year later when it was time to
clean, I had to pull all the stone out and clean the filter
then rinse the stone and replace. I did that twice and then
decided to go stone free.
Some people use lava rock because it has a large surface
area for bacteria to grow, but this soon becomes clogged and
then you must remove it and clean (a real chore) or replace
and wet lava rock is very heavy.
If you're asking about stone to secure the plants in pots -
go with pea gravel.

--
Bonnie
NJ