Old 15-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Tom Warner

Default Hummingbird hawk moth

"brimon" wrote in message
I have just been watching a hummingbird hawk moth feeding on the bright

red
flowers on my pelagoniums
just beside me on the patio. It went from flower to flower putting its
incredibly long proboscis right into
the flower to feed off the nectar and then moving very quickly to the next
plant.
I have never seen anything like it here in UK.
It was a very sunny afternoon in Cheshire - is this yet another example of
climate change or is this not as rare
as I thought.
There is a short video of the moth in action on
http://people.freenet.de/jfeldhusen/..._Hawk_Moth.htm

I hope this is not considered off topic but would like to hear if this was

rare sighting.

Brian

Snap! I was watching one of these insects late this afternoon feeding on red
valerien, I have never seen one either, quite amazing to watch. By
coincidence it was this same plant that I saw a Painted Lady butterfly on
earlier this week.

Tom