Old 15-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Slant Eye Joe

Default Top Dressing a 30,000 SQFT Lawn

Chris wrote:
Not every lawn is the same. My lawn is mostly clay and has very little
organic matter. The top dressing mixture is derived from a soil sample test
done by the University of Minnesota. They do testing for farmers, golf
courses, and home owners. I think there tested sample is better than
someones guess who has never seen the lawn. As for using straight sand what
good is that in a lawn low in organic matter that already drains fine? I am
looking fro reccomendations on how to spread the mixture.
lant Eye Joe" wrote in message

Chris:

True, not every lawn is the same. But just because you have little to
no organic matter now is irrelevant. If you fertilize properly the turf
itself will provide its own organic matter, and over time, if properly
fertilized, will even provide excess organic matter.

People seem to think that they can add organic matter to soil by adding
compost, peat moss, manure or other organic things. While this may be
true, it is akin to trying to raise sea level by ****isng in the ocean.
Yes, it will do it, but not to any significant degree.

The proper, and most efficient way, to add organic matter to soil is by
proper fertilization and proper culture of the plants, be they turf
plants, flowers or whatever.

Please, if you topdress, do yourself a favor and use SAND. It really
doesn't matter what kind or where you get it, just use SAND, not peat
moss or loam or anything like that.