Old 16-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Cass

Default Roses Fertilizing and Drip Irrigation

I think that as long as your roses are small, it rains regularly and
isn't 100 degrees, you'll be fine. I use shrublers that look like
this:

http://www.pepcoirrigation.com/techn...leronstick.htm

so that I can increase the water as the rose grows and so that more of
the root ball gets water. Come July, 3 gallons of water a week won't
be enough. Have you been using one gallon emitters on your roses for
long? Watch for wilt in case you need to give them more water.

I also deep water once a month in June, July, August and September. My
newest whizz bang is a hose-end drip setup that is like a soaker hose
(but emits less water and works better on a slope): Backflower
preventer - pressure regulator - filter/step down connection for
so-called half inch tubing. Then I have a 4 foot piece of tubing. I've
connected about 12 feet of 1/4" dripperline with 6" spacing. I U-stake
this in a circle around the drip line of the rose. I turn it on for
about 30 minutes at a time about 3 times in a day.

I'm experimenting with dripperline instead of shrublers around a few
roses and like the results so far.

In article , Jon Boehm
wrote:

I'm near Portland OR. I believe thats zone 6 or 7. Rain is common up
untill the 5th of July -- a local joke. The last half of July and
August are ususally ~dry.

Currently I'm watering for 1hr in the morning every 3 days.

What do you think?

In article ,
Cass wrote:

In article , Jon Boehm
wrote:

Jon, you didn't ask about the drip emitter, but depending on your
summer rainfall, a 1 gallon emitter might not be adequate. Where are
you located and what kind of summer rain do you get?

HTH.