Old 16-06-2003, 03:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Koi Food Survey

It can be amazing how much edible stuff falls or flies into a pond. Noticed
this with the lily pond, with just tadpoles, how many drown bug bodies I
find on the surface that I'd never see in the koi ponds because they are
eaten. ~ jan

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 15:57:07 GMT, wrote:

I only use around 5 lbs for the year up here. I saw how little Jo Ann and Steve were
feeding their monsters only once a day and realized that I had probably been
overfeeding mine. Since they dont have much of a stomach it is all in and out in 5-6
hours, so if I feed them too much it is just fouling the water.
The problem with non-fish food is the balance of individual amino acids and fats are
not optimal for fish. The problem with cheaper food is all those carbohydrates are
not digested and foul the water and filter. I have something like 25 koi I guess
they are worth about a buck a piece to feed for the year.
The other thing I like about getting better quality from someone buys it fresh and
keeps it frozen before shipping. I remember my first batch of koi, got a 22 lb back
of trout food sitting in a feed store and it was rancid. I didnt know any better and
fed that to them anyway. Food been sitting around in hot warehouses or whatever isnt
going to have the necessary vitamins anymore. Ingrid

(Jerrispond) wrote:

5.50 per lb, 110 bucks for 33 pound bag ...

That costs more than the food I feed my family.....No can do!!! Jerri

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a