Old 16-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Noydb

Default basil and cilantro

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

So, I transplanted the basil and cilantro plants in larger planters. Now
half of them are dead. I did water them but the weather had been strange
here. Hot and sunny one day, rainy the next, so it is possible the soil
was
very dry for at least a day, or overwatered. How wet do these plants need
to be? I read the little paper I got with them, and it just said to keep
the soil moist.

It is possible you drowned them with too much water, too little drainage.
When you replant, make certain there is a way for excess water to get out
the bottom of the pot.

Also, I'm wondering if the round-up I used on some weeds nearby had a
negative effect on the plants. I did not spray the round-up on the plants
or on an area touching the planters (but it was one or two feet away) and
there was no wind to speak of, which is why I used it at that time (I
wouldn't have if it had been windy, since I would have been afraid of the
wind carrying the round-up to my new babies). How much does that round-up
stuff travel? Even if there were no wind, could it have hit my plants
some other way?

A foot or two isn't much leeway. It is also possible you assasinated them
with Roundup. Tiny droplets can travel a long ways and, if the plant was as
stressed as you say, it would not have taken much to kill it.

Really, I'm not a troll. I'm just a true neophyte at any kind of
gardening,
plus it seems I may not have much common sense about it. I'm always
willing
to learn! Well, at least my tomatoes are still alive!

rona