Old 16-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Sue Alexandre

Default 3 discoveries at midnight pond check

Hubby bought me a new, improved 1.5 million candlepower rechargeable
spotlight for my "midnight pond checks" and I saw three different things
tonight,not sure if they're good or bad.

First, found a dead fish. I NEVER see dead fish in my pond, and this guy is
a bottom sucker or something that has been there for 3 years that I think my
kids caught in a nearby brook. It was about an inch long when they brought
it home, and it was probably 7 inches long tonight. It bothers me and
scares me that it died, since I don't know why.

Second discovery was kind of strange, I found a bird sitting on the grass
under a hosta. Since when do birds sleep on the ground???? I'm not even
sure what kind it was, it happened so fast. I was sliding my foot under the
plant to get a closer look in the pond, and then there was this flutter and
a bird flew out and away! What in heck was he doing in there? It was
right next to where the UV light is - think there's any connection?

Third thing I then spotted in the pond was a fairly large crayfish. I knew
my kids had put two in there last year, and I found one "body" when opening
this spring, just kind of assumed they both had died. Now WHERE this guy
seems to be hanging out is right where I found the dead fish. So I can't
help but wonder if the fish got attacked, but he looked perfectly intact
when I removed him.

Any ideas why birds sleep on the ground, why fish die, or why crayfish
attack fish? OK, skip the last one. I guess even crayfish have to eat!
Sue