Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
spampot

Default Perennials question

Frogleg wrote:
On 15 Jun 2003 19:31:11 -0700, (brianb) wrote:

I am doing some landscaping on my own and have very little knowledge
unfortunately.

A perennial: Does that mean it grows back year after year without
having to be re-seeded? That's what I would think.

Do these perennials spread automatically? That's what I would want
for groundcover and whatnot.

You're on the right track. Typical perennials die down in winter and
grow back in spring/summer. If they keep their foliage over the
winter, they're 'evergreens,' as well as perennials. Many may spread,
but it's not part of the definition. Often perennials will take a
couple of years to become "established" and provide abundant bloom.

You may also see the term "tender perennial," which doesn't mean their
feelings are hurt easily, but that in colder climates, they are
annuals.

I believe the term "half-hardy" refers to this uncertainty, too.