Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
brianb

Default Perennials question

(Jan Flora) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(brianb) wrote:

I am doing some landscaping on my own and have very little knowledge
unfortunately.

A perennial: Does that mean it grows back year after year without
having to be re-seeded? That's what I would think.

Do these perennials spread automatically? That's what I would want
for groundcover and whatnot.

Thanks in advance.

I would ask these questions of a landscaper, but they won't return my
calls. Must be very busy.

Yes, perennials come back year after year. They can look dead in the winter,
if you live in a cold-winter area, but as soon as the soil warms up in the
spring,
they'll come back. (I planted a little tiny snip of columbine last year. It came
back this spring and is about 2 feet wide and 4 feet tall right now, and
*loaded*
with flower buds. It must really like that spot!)

Some (most?) perennials will spread on their own. I'm in Alaska and really don't
have a good grasp on what happens down there in the small states. I'm sure lots
of other folks will jump in here with advice/opinions.

Where are you? Different areas all have different gardening problems/solutions.

Your local nursery owner will be able to help you. Don't expect the garden
section
people at Wal*Mart or other discount stores to know much. Go to a real nursery
that doesn't sell anything but plants & trees.

Jan, USDA Zone 3

Thanks to you both.

I'm in Mid/South GA, on the Alabama line. I think it's "zone 9"
although I've seen differing maps for grass and climate. Maybe it's
zone 8a for climate.

I'm looking for Pachysandra's to plant. I think I will try a nursery
as the Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and Lowe's couldn't really help me much.
Just hoping Pachysandra's like acidic clay soils.