Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Joanne

Default basil and cilantro

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message ...
So, I transplanted the basil and cilantro plants in larger planters. Now
half of them are dead. I did water them but the weather had been strange
here. Hot and sunny one day, rainy the next, so it is possible the soil was
very dry for at least a day, or overwatered. How wet do these plants need
to be? I read the little paper I got with them, and it just said to keep
the soil moist.

Snip

rona

I can't advise you about Roundup as I have an organic garden, so that
problem is one I don't have to contend with. I can tell you that I
also lost 90% of my initial basil planting due to an unexpectedly
cool, wet and windy spell. They just seemed to be overwhelmed by the
weather at such a young age and who can blame them. I find young
cilantro plants to be even more delicate and did not put mine out
until last week.

All I can advise you to do is buy more plants and try again, hopefully
the weather will co-operate, oh, and cilantro likes a bit of shade.

A final piece of advice; even the most experienced gardener has
failures or perplexing questions every year (this newsgroups existance
is proof of that), let experience be your teacher. Each year you will
be both wiser and have more questions, it's a vicious circle but a
fascinating one!

Hope that helps.

jcm