Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Jan Flora

Default Fertilizer & Tomatoes in Pots question

Oh, heck. I have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets and have an extremely
high tolerance for, um, things that my more upwardly mobile
neighbors wouldn't *dream* of doing/putting up with. (I'm trying
to be polite. *We* are the neighbors with the old cars in the yard,
but we don't live in a trailer. We even have old bulldozers parked
in our yard, but we use them all the time. This place is a beef cattle
ranch. We own almost all of the land surrounding our yuppie neighbors,
which drives them nuts. They can't tell us what to do with "their" view,
but they *have* tried.)

Anyway, I just hate using 5 gallon buckets for planters. I'll build
some beds in my new greenhouse instead. Either that or cut some old
55 gallon poly drums in half and use them for planters. I'll bet that
cutting the ends out of poly drums, setting them on the ground, then
filling them with composted cow manure & dirt would keep 'mater
plants happy...

Thanks for the feedback : )

Jan

In article , "samuel l crowe"
wrote:

A one gallon pot is not big enough for tomatoes, you need at least a 5
gallon pot or better a 7 gallon.

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC
"Jan Flora" wrote in message
Hey Folks:

I'm going to pot up my indeterminate 'mater plants in big pots. (Several
gallon sized black nursery pots.) What sort of fertilization schedule do
they need? We have a Tumbler on the kitchen windowsill in a one gallon
pot. The SO took some of my 8-32-16 granules for the flowerbeds and
mixed it in water "until it tasted right" (!) -- he's a hay farmer --

don't
ask -- and fed the plant. He didn't burn the plant.)

Should I just go buy some Miracle Grow for 'Maters and follow the
directions? I have fresh horse manure here, to make some manure
tea. (We have horses.) How often do you use the tea?

Will someone sell me a clue? *blush*

Jan, Zone 3