Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Frogleg

Default Fertilizer & Tomatoes in Pots question

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:25:09 -0800, (Jan Flora)
wrote:

I'm going to pot up my indeterminate 'mater plants in big pots. (Several
gallon sized black nursery pots.) What sort of fertilization schedule do
they need? We have a Tumbler on the kitchen windowsill in a one gallon
pot. The SO took some of my 8-32-16 granules for the flowerbeds and
mixed it in water "until it tasted right" (!) -- he's a hay farmer -- don't
ask -- and fed the plant. He didn't burn the plant.)

Should I just go buy some Miracle Grow for 'Maters and follow the
directions? I have fresh horse manure here, to make some manure
tea. (We have horses.) How often do you use the tea?

A 1-gallon pot is far too small for a tomato.

Horse manure is great, although often weedy. Composted better than
fresh. I am not experienced in manure tea. Tomatoes are said to be
"heavy feeders," requiring plenty of nutrients. I generally set up
pots with half "potting soil" or some generic dirt, and half composted
steer manure. While I don't taste it, this is what "looks right" to
me. When I had an in-ground garden, I just tilled in as much steer
manure and compost as I could afford/transport. Occasionally, I'd mix
up a couple gallons of Miracle Gro (according to package directions)
and slosh it around a bit. Have had pretty good success with my
tomatoes.

a later post -- What's the problem with 5-gallon paint buckets?
They're not exactly in a class with a urinal planted with marigolds on
the front lawn. You could spray them black or green or terra-cotta to
make less conspicuous, I suppose.