Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Guy Bradley

Default potting spinach

"Michael Beck" wrote in message
I have a small urban garden, so I like to start my vegetables in

pots
and then transplant. I am having a terrible time starting spinach.

use commercial potting soil and mix in a handful of manure, wet the

mix
and fill the pots. Then I add two seeds to each pot. Within two

weeks,
everything sprouts, except spinach. I get one or two plants out of

the
12 seeds every time. I have tried several brands of seeds. Same
results.

Any suggestions?

This idea is certainly not proven, but consider. I plant my spinach in
the garden in mid-March, when the soil is cool. Perhaps your pots are
too warm. Consider finding a place in your house which is cool,
perhaps a basement.

Another poster suggested some time in the refrigerator. This is close
to what I'm suggesting, but I think the refrigerator is too cold for
the seeds to actually sprout. I'm thinking of temperatures in the 40's
and 50's.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield Mo
zone 6