Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Fertilizer & Tomatoes in Pots question

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:32:16 -0800, (Jan
Flora) wrote:

Oh, heck. I have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets and have an extremely
high tolerance for, um, things that my more upwardly mobile
neighbors wouldn't *dream* of doing/putting up with. (I'm trying
to be polite. *We* are the neighbors with the old cars in the yard,
but we don't live in a trailer. We even have old bulldozers parked
in our yard, but we use them all the time. This place is a beef cattle
ranch. We own almost all of the land surrounding our yuppie neighbors,
which drives them nuts. They can't tell us what to do with "their" view,
but they *have* tried.)

Anyway, I just hate using 5 gallon buckets for planters. I'll build
some beds in my new greenhouse instead. Either that or cut some old
55 gallon poly drums in half and use them for planters. I'll bet that
cutting the ends out of poly drums, setting them on the ground, then
filling them with composted cow manure & dirt would keep 'mater
plants happy...

Thanks for the feedback : )

I also found 5-gallon pots too small for (regular-sized)
tomatoes.

Last year, we had a tomato growing in a pot on the deck -
accidentally, rather. I'd not intended it to be
there...anyway, it was a Yellow Pear (cherry tomato) and it
got HUGE. I was watering it three times a day!

So we transplanted it into a Rubbermaid storage tub (holds
22 gallons). We had drilled holes in the bottom first, for
drainage. The tomato grew happily enough in that.

The plant was about 5' tall when we transplanted it, and I
worried that would kill it: nope. Didn't even make it
hesitate...

So - maybe you could pick some of these up cheap at garage
sales? Sales in stores such as Wal-Mart?

Pat