Old 16-06-2003, 04:08 PM

Default Tomato Cages

Yeah, in the past, I purchased 3/8" rebar, cut to ~ 3+' lengths
and painted then with green enamel paint. They last for years,
are easy to hammer into the ground, east to tie, easy to pull
out & store - and inexpensive. Like I said, now I just plant extra
plants & do nothing whatsoever :-)

Gene

"Joe Doe" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

I tried a new strategy this year.
I planted twice as many tomatoes plants as we
needed. We're just letting them run wild, no
stakes whatsoever. So a few get rotten, big deal -
we have more tomatoes than we can eat &
zero stress:-)

Gene

You are in good company. Dr Carolyn Mayle the author of 100 Heirloom
tomatoes for the American Garden claims she does that too on hundreds of
plants!! I staked every tomato I was growing with a t-post, went out and
tied them up just once and then out of laziness have let them sprawl. So
far I have not lost any fruit to spoilage.

Roland