Old 16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Tim

Default Planting ayoung walnut tree

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:03:16 +0100, Rod wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
newsprqpdd2d2wxhha1@localhost...
supose it's a couple of | years old at the most. I think it's the

large-
nut californian variety, | rather than the European type.

No, 3" is this year's germination.

Blimey they grow fast.

That's not a lot for seedlings of large deciduous trees. As Nick says
some of it is down to the size of the seed, but
I've just spent a week pulling out Sycamore seedlings germinated this
year and they range from 2 inches to about 9
inches in a large bed with very variable soil conditions. A few Aesculus
seedlings in the same bed are about 8-10
inches, Ash typically about 3-4 inches.

Rod

As you can see, I haven't got the faintest ideas about trees. Ground elder,
horsetails and creeping buttercup, no problem. Trees? Dodgy mate.
Tim.