Old 16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Druss

Default Something growing in my comfrey liquid !!!

Hi all,

Has anyone else here whose made comfrey liquid ever found anything (animal)
growing in the liquid ???

This is a 40 gallon blue waterbutt, it was full of water and I stuck in
quick a lot of comfrey. Anyway after a few weeks I went to check on the
state of the fermentation! only to find that the top of the waterbutt has
two large, more than fist sized, clumps of what can only be described as
large wriggling maggots. These things are up to 1.5 inches long, about 5mm
in diameter, excuse units, and seem to have a very long thin tail coming out
of one end. A few are clinging to the lid of the water butt, but the vast
majority are in the two clumps and wriggling around.The lid is quite tight
fitting, no light gets in, but obviously smallish insects could.

Does anyone have any idea what these might be, are they good guys, don't
look it!, or are they baddies, and why oh why are they living in my comfrey
liquid, which I can't use until I've figured out what these things are.

Help, and many thanks
Duncan

p.s. Does anyone else remember the Dr Who episode with the giant maggots
???, okay now im scaring myself.