Old 16-06-2003, 06:05 PM
JohnDKestell

Default Experience in Anaerobic Composting?

Hi guys,
I was wondering, did anyone ever try composting with anaerobes? I know the
books frown on it because it tends to smell bad, and never yields a nice
crumbly compost, but a nutirent rich "muck" that need to be turned into the
garden.

still, it seems, a couple of big, covered tanks full of nastiness, kept
sumbmerged in water, and allowed to just cook would be a good way to crank up
the nutirents in your soil, if not the structure.

anyways, it seems to me, nutrient leaching would not be a problem. Also, some
soil additives like peat moss are made in much the same way? Also, maybe it
would be a good way to break down some of the tough things like wood chips,
sawdust, and stuff like that. just let the bacteria chomp away for like a
year, with maybe a mixing or two. Throw the recommended "slurry" that you
collected in your kitchen blender, as much manure as you can find, and let it
sit (covered perhaps) until it didn't stink anymore, and it's done!

I was just interested. I live in the city and would probably get evicted for
experimenting with it. but it might be a nice exercise for someone who could
move the operation behind a cow pasture or out somewhere so it didn't offend
anyone.

anyone try this stuff? I had a thought that maybe then you could cut off the
water, let it sort of dehydrate in the sun, then add it more or less dry to the
ground directly, it having been well aged and decomposed. that would also mean
you were not carrying the tons of water to deliver the goods.

I found some info on a google search and it looks interesting.

just wondering exactly how nasty the process is, and how well it works (kind of
a pro/con deal)

later
john