Old 05-02-2003, 04:54 PM
D Kat

Default North side of house

Something doesn't seem quite right if you cannot even get hosta to grow on
the north side of your house. I'm on Long Island so I have a somewhat
milder climate than you have but I have hostas growing in complete shade.
Might this be a soil or pest issue? Different hostas do better in different
lighting conditions so you might have hostas that are on the "almost liking
sun" side but even then they should do well on a north wall. How do you
feel about ferns? Some of the plants suggested by other posters
(rhodies/azaleas) also have a range of light that they flourish in. You
might try looking in your local area for plants that you like that are doing
well in the same location/setting. I would still though look into what is
going on that the hostas aren't working ... kinda like a canary in a
mine.......

"Allview" wrote in message
I'm on the edge of zones 5/6. I can't even get hosta to grow on the north

side
of the house. I would like some kind of shrub, but the sun never reaches

this
wall. Any ideas?

Marilyn in Ohio