Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM
zookeeper

Default Koi Food Survey

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
It can be amazing how much edible stuff falls or flies into a pond. Noticed
this with the lily pond, with just tadpoles, how many drown bug bodies I
find on the surface that I'd never see in the koi ponds because they are
eaten. ~ jan

While waiting to read through and "digest" all of the answers to my
original question, I was holding off on buying koi food. Luckily (for
the koi that is), our swimming pool liner has several holes so I have
not yet cleaned the pool for the teens. It is teeming with mosquito
larvae (even with using the Dunks!!), dragonfly and diving beetle
larvae, and lots of midge worms. I've been scooping those out for
several days and feeding them to the koi. I fed about 1/2 to 1 cup at a
time, and within an hour or so, there are no visible signs left of the
larvae in the koi pond -- hungry critters! And lots of fun watching the
koi zig-zagging across the pond after the bugs.

If I can find out why my mosquito dunks are not working, I might keep a
small pool of green water just to supplement the regular diet I feed the
koi.

My order of Miracle Koi Food has arrived, the koi love it; will let
everyone know how it works out.
--
zookeeper