Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM

Default catfish food for koi :-)

I think it comes down to what do the experts feed their koi, their dogs. People like
Brett Rowley who breed koi use high quality feed like Rangen, and he has to minimize
his costs to stay in business ..... he got more koi mouths to feed than all of us put
together. And Brett knows more about breeding and raising healthy koi than all of us
put together.
I am on a dog list as well, and the same issue comes up about cheap bulk dog food vs
better brands. And part of my decision to feed high quality koi food is because I
can actually see the difference between high protein dog food and the cheap stuff
that is mostly fillers. When my two big springers take a dump after eating cheap
food the pile is enormous. With high protein food there isnt 1/2 the wastes. The
difference was obvious when I switched from cheap GF food to high protein. My
filters stopped getting fouled with undigested food. Bulk is in one end and out the
other.
I think it is pretty clear all over the world what happens when people eat high
starch diets. The majority of them get huge ... but it is obesity, not "sleekly fat"
Minimize the protein and they are runted, never attaining their growth potential.
Limit protein to children and they never develop full brain potential and their
immune system is compromised. Those little kids with big bellies are the result of a
lack of protein, but plenty of starch in their diet.
I dont have high dollar koi, but they are my pets.. and they are worth a buck a year
each to feed them high quality food. Fish are good converters of food, I think it is
something like for every 2 lbs of food they put on 1 lb of weight. So fish just dont
need so MUCH food. And since I want to maintain the highest quality water I want to
use food that isnt going to unnecessarily make it more difficult. Ingrid

"Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote:
1. Why am I even thinking about buying catfish food, I wouldn't feed my
pet dogs pig chow even though it costs a lot less would I? I quickly
reminded him how coyotes are same as dogs and they eat anything....to which
he came back.."Dogs have been domesticated for ages and have lost their
natural defense against the germs in .........
2. What is the cost of Koi food compared to the cost of the Koi?