Old 16-06-2003, 08:01 PM
LeeAnne

Default OT, Sorta: Dragonfly Nymphs

Hi all,

Long time lurker, small time poster :-) I have a *very* small bird
splashing pool that, due to my Cyprio Cypri-Vac lacking a seal (which I now
located in the UK from the company directly) is a tad bit more dirty this
year than normally. Normally I suck the thing clean once a week and refill.
It's not a haven for fish, etc., but gets the occasional frog. I has a
great amount of pollen in it (it's so bad this year!) but not so much algae.

I was adding water to it yesterday and noticed some things swimming around
and, much to my delight, I've ID'd them as dragonfly nymphs (naiads? maybe)
and what I need to know is how long they normally take to develop. I'm
concerned that there may not be enough food for them to grow up and out of
the small pool. Anything I can put in there? There are small water bugs on
top and I noticed some really gross squirmy things which may have been mosq.
larvae (I know DF's love mosquitos!). I would love to help these little
guys grow up into big mosquito eaters!

There is a small tetra fountain that keeps the water flowing a bit but
evidently it's not strong enough to suck in the DF's.

Just looking for professional opinions on these little guys. I love
dragonflies!

LeeAnne

--
------
If you're an insomniac, agnostic, dyslexic do you lay