View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Old 16-06-2003, 10:08 PM
~consul

Default Stuff to compost Starbucks Fertilizer

Jan Flora wrote:
In article , ~consul
Could you get something like a refrigerator dolly to set your buckets on and spin them? Or hit the hardware store and buy some little dolly wheels and build a frame the right dimensions to hold a bucket? Let me chew on your idea for a little while and s

ee if I can think something up for you.

I've got a design, I'm just looking around for scraps to build it with. I've got two big
flower buckets which I will melt together, open to open end. I'll drill drainage holes. I
already have a triangular corner at each end with a hinge that I made, with a wire screen
and a latch so it fits snug and seals when it's latched. I am trying to figure out how to
hang this over the back stairway entrance so it doesn't block access to the neighbours
door. I might hang it over the railing with wire supports and a bar and let it spin on the
bar over the walkway below. ((The only image that I can think that it would look like is
in a mechanics garage, the machine that they use after a tire is inflated to check the
widths, the way that is set up and spins.))

And to make it look nice so the landlord doesn't yell.

Have you looked into worm composting? Lots of Alaskans do that, especially
people up north in Zone 1. (It's big in Fairbanks.) You can do it in a Rubbermaid tub.

I'm too cheap. I've got over 3 dozen potted plants and 2 little dwarf trees growing in
my 1 bed room apartment, it's literally a jungle when folks come in. And it's all up high
so my cat can't get to them. But I won't spring for the worms. Probably because
everything I've grown in my apartment have been from other folks cuttings or stuff I
picked from the outdoors. My pots are from the flea markets. The only thing I buy is
potting soil and fertilizer. Which, after I get my composting stuff running, I won't have
to do that anymore either.
Next time I go into the mountains, I might just dig for them. Would regular worms do the
trick, albeit slower than the red worms?
I live in a 1100US$/mo apartment near downtown Los Angeles, I gotta save where I can!
--
R.I.P. Gregory Peck, June 12th, 2003. He showed me the father and the man I strive to be,
on-screen and off. [[Reverend Sykes: "Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin'."
'To Kill a Mockingbird']]
-till next time,
Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- dolphins-cove.com
((remove the INVALID))