Old 16-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Babberney

Default Ash tree problem

On 8 Jun 2003 04:42:04 -0700, (Sherry) wrote:

There is an ash tree planted 3 years ago in my front yard. I think I
might have over fertilized it last year with some tree fertilizer
spikes purchased at the Home Demo (instruction says 3 spikes, I used
5). Last year the leaves of my tree were twice as big as those of my
neighor's tree (because of the ferlilizer I guess). However, this year
some leaves on the top of the tree are much smaller than others. They
don't look healthy at all. What should I do?

Regards,
Sherry

Overfertilizing is a possibility, but I doubt two extra spikes are
doing all that much damage (has the same site been fertilized
regularly in the past?).

Often, small or sparse leaves near the top of a tree indicate a root
problem. The tree may be planted too deep, or a root may be girdled
by the wire basket the tree came in (or another root), or the soil may
be too wet or too dry. Can you pinpoint any more symptoms? do teh
leaves look the same other than their sizes?

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit
http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html