Old 17-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Crabapple

In a message dated 6/16/03 2:48:16 PM,
writes:
if any pruning is done " it should be completed before early

June. Most
crabapples initiate flower buds for next season in mid-June to

early July and
pruning at that time or later would result in
decreased flower production the following year. Pruning may be

done,
however, to remove sucker growth, open up the center of the

plant to light and
air, to cut off out-of-place branches, and
shape the tree."

Thanks. Schenectady is out anyway. However, what about our club
show in
September? By that time flower buds are supposed to be visible.
Can I make it
presentable for the show?
Iris
===========
Can't really help, Iris. All I know is what Dirr knows, since I
have no experience with crabapples.

If I had to guess, however, I'd say that careful pruning may
reduce the number of blooms, but not eliminate them. He DOES say
pruning is OK to get rid of suckers, open up the tree and get rid
of branches where they shouldn't be. Sounds like bonsai to me.
;-)

jim

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --