Old 03-03-2003, 10:40 PM
len

Default Weed control

"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote in message
thermonuclear weapons. But that's only a temporary fix. Hand weeding is
next best. Rototilling is probably the worst thing you can do. Every
little chopped up piece of Bermuda grass is going to be a whole new
plant.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

Now that thermonuclear option sounds realy tempting, but I'll pass for now.
I heard a couple of years ago, that there was going to be a specific
herbicide, for bermuda, but I haven't seen it yet. If somebody knows of such
a thing, do tell? I'd like to rid my yard of it, I realy prefer a much less
pernicious weed.

I started my garden 10 years ago, when we bought this house. I had no
choice, but to till in the bermuda and other mixed weeds. I used a
Troybuilt, staked out a 50x 50 spot, start in Jan. whenever the ground
wasn't totally frozen, tilled it constantly. In the meantime, I went to
every horse farm in the area, got manure, making sure there was no bermuda
actualy growing near the manure I took. I made compost heaps, not in the
garden. Then, I built a border around the garden. By late April, I was
actualy able to plant a garden that remained bermuda free, with just a
little hand weeding. A good garden at that.
I am trying to make a few points here. One that tilling can actualy help to
get rid of bermuda and other weeds. It is called extinction through
exhaustion. You will have a later garden, because you have to wait until the
bermuda has tried to sprout a few times. And you will haven to remove some
by hand, but that is easier than removing it as sod.
Two, that if you use horse manure, you should compost it yourself separate
from the garden. Make large piles that get hot, turn them
occasionally,givethem time, till them in shortly, before you plant.
Three, you got to have a border.
Four, the problem does get better, but never goes away.
Five, if anybody has a safe way to get rid of this stuff from my yard,
please say something.

Len

A prayer for our times:
".In this time of war against Osama bin Laden and the oppressive Taliban
regime - We are thankful that OUR leader isn't the spoiled son of a
powerful politician from a wealthy oil family who is supported by
religious fundamentalists, operates through clandestine organizations,
has no resect for the democratic electoral process, bombs innocents, and
uses war to deny people their civil liberties. Amen."

Aaron McGruder, Boondocks comic strip

P.S I like this one