Old 17-06-2003, 06:56 AM
DPS

Default tomato wilt

Ummm, you don't say where you are, that would help.

We used to live in Chapel Hill, North Carolina and we made a raised bed
in our front yard with bought topsoil. Tomatoes grew great until they
all keeled over within a day or so with something called "Southern
Bacterial Wilt" (SBW). If you cut through the stem the cut pieces part
with a great deal of stickiness to it, not normal sap. If you have
this, I believe you are doomed. Doomed. Doomed.

The cause? Well, SBW is endemic to tobacco farms. And tobacco farms
are endemic to North Carolina, so I think that is where our bought
topsoil came from. The only treatment for it is some extremely nasty
chemicals which I, a chemist, wouldn't mess with. Such as methyl
bromide, applied in large quantites. Solarization might help a bit, but
the agricultural extension agent was not optimistic. We grew flowers in
that soil, although not Nicotiana, since it is related to tomatoes and
tobacco. We had no problem in other parts of our yard, uncontaminated
with that soil.

On the other hand, there are lots of other tomato diseases, and they may
be less malignant. Can't help any more without description of the
symptoms and your location.

Good Luck!
David.

gritz wrote:
hi, i need help; my tomato plants are just wiltting up and dying . it starts
with one plant and moves down the line .
i move things around in the garden . i have lost over 45 plants . friends
have told me it is a bacteria in the ground.
if so can i get it out ? another friend told me to bleach the soil? i hope
someone out there can help me .
friut less