Old 17-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Cass

Default A couple of pics

In article , dave weil
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:36:32 -0700, Cass
wrote:

In article , dave weil
wrote:

As a proud papa, I wanted to share a pic of my cutting of Aloha, the
first successful (so far) of 4 attempts:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/AlohaCutting.jpg

When should I transplant this into its final location? How long should
the new growth be? It's under a forsythia at the moment and is in
almost compete shade. I'm thinking that it will need sun pretty
soon...

I like to wait until I see real legitimate new growth. That means a
good couple of inches of active growth. A cutting can sprout new
growth and even flower buds and still not have roots, but the growth
will usually hit a deadend. It's easy to jump the gun.

Exactly why I asked g.

Also why I said (so far).

The cutting looks very healthy, and it's good sized. Patience. I have
a green cutting from last....July!!!!! No new growth, no roots visible
out the drain hole. I just keep watering it. One year it'll turn black
and die or else grow a new basal. I think we're often instructed to
use wood that is too small. This winter I rooted a honkin' 2 footer
(stuck on Jan. 31, just finished blooming and shooting a 2 foot basal),
so now I'm taking different sized cuttings, some much larger than I
used to take. Good luck.