Old 17-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Simon Avery

Default Petrol strimmer - wow!

Roy Bailey wrote:

Hello Roy

Standard unleaded works on nearly all small engines, but
the golden rule is that all strimmers run on 2/stroke. Neat
petrol will kill your strimmer. Buy 2-stroke oil (most
garages, garden centres, agricultural centres) and follow
the instructions. on the bottle to mix at 25-1
strength. All this will be covered in the manual, btw.

RB Not necessarily, Simon. The recommended mixture for my
RB Jonsered strimmer is 50-1 (2%) if using Jonsered oil, and
RB 25-1 (4%) if using any other 2 stroke oil. I am using
RB another make and running it on 50-1 with no problems.

Yes, but... No 2-stroke will die if you run it on 25/1 - some will if
you run them on 50/1. Also note that oil bottle markings are
notoriously unreliable and you've removed a whole lot of your safety
margin.

I know Jonsered, Husqvarna and others recommend their own-brand 50-1.
I've also known 2-stroke engines to sieze whilst using it at the
correct ratio. Hence I now use 25/1 exclusively.

YMMV

As for RTFM - if you're using another make you should be using 25/1...