Old 17-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Al Reynolds

Default removing tree near house

Morning!

I moved into my current house last year, and it
had two Leylandii - one in the back garden and
one at the side of the front patio.

Thankfully part of the fence fell on the one in the
back garden (I was suprised at how easily it was
uprooted). I just cut it up and took it to the tip.

As for the one at the front ... I started by trimming it
to keep it neat, but it's grown 3ft in the last year and
I'm not prepared to let it carry on like that! My only
concern about removing it is that it is quite close to
the house. The tree is ~11ft tall and is 3-4ft from the
house. I gather from reading other articles that you
have to be careful when removing trees near houses
as the subsequent disintegration of the root structure
can cause subsidence.

Are the roots likely to have spread more than 3ft to
the side of the trunk? It's planted between patio slabs
and there's no sign of any of them cracking or lifting.
The trunk is 6-8" wide at the base. How wide/deep
is the root ball likely to be?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Al Reynolds