Old 17-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Stephen Howard

Default clover killer?

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:01:00 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

Or alternatively, save your money and enjoy the clover. Clover fixes
nitrogen and in an organic lawn is a good companion for grass. I'm actively
encouraging clover to spread and my daughters (and the local birdlife) like
the little white flowers (OK, so I don't mow that often either ;-) ).

Isn't clover brilliant!
I have a whopping great circular patch of it in my 'lawn', and I find
I tend to 'manage' this patch like a miniature crop - letting it
flower then cutting it back to allow it to come up again.
On a sunny day the clover patch is brimming with bees and other
insects, and the lush, moist green leaves set the dry white flowers
off to perfection.

I never have managed to get any red clover to establish though. If anyone
has any tips, drop me a line.

I've only ever had the white variety - but just a few weeks back I
noticed an unusually large red clover-like flower in one of the beds.
The blooms are at least three times the size of a standard clover, and
I have no idea how it got there ( packet of mixed annuals from last
year perchance? ). I'm not inclined to remove it either, the clover
bloom is a truly fascinating flower up close.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk