Old 17-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Paul Kelly

Default removing tree near house

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
Morning!

As for the one at the front ... I started by trimming it

to keep it neat, but it's grown 3ft in the last year and
I'm not prepared to let it carry on like that! My only
concern about removing it is that it is quite close to
the house. The tree is ~11ft tall and is 3-4ft from the
house. I gather from reading other articles that you
have to be careful when removing trees near houses
as the subsequent disintegration of the root structure
can cause subsidence.

If you are concerned seek professional advice &/or speak to your insurance
company.

BUT, if it were my tree and my house I would not be worried about a tree of
that size causing any problems. It is still a baby and is unlikely to have
extensive roots.

(BTW your understanding of the problem is a little off beam. Large trees in
situ sometimes cause subsidence by drying out the soil under the house.
Removing large trees sometimes causes heave - the opposite process - by
ceasing to dry out the soil which then expands as it take in water.)