Old 17-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Tim

Default Something growing in my comfrey liquid !!!

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:14:12 +0100, Druss wrote:

"Pickle" wrote in message

"Bart Bailey" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:22:09 +0100, "Druss"

wrote:

These things are up to 1.5 inches long, about 5mm
in diameter, excuse units, and seem to have a very long thin tail

coming
out
of one end.

Rat-tailed maggots? They are the larva of a kind of hoverfly.

They sound about right from descriptions on the web, though they cover a
lot
of adult stages. I only hope they are all the aphid eating types of
hoverflies.

Isn't it only the larvae of hoverflies that feed on aphids? The adults
drink nectar, I thought. Like lacewings.
So.... rat-tailed maggots are useless for eating aphids. Hoverflies are
nice anyway.
Tim.