Old 17-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Penny Morgan

Default Interesting weed, ID help?

Sounds exactly like what we used to call wild "vetch". We had it all over
our farm in upstate NY (Champlain) bordering Canada and Vermont.

I moved to Raleigh, NC eight years ago and it's quite common here too. I
just sprayed some that is growing like crazy under my front porch and trying
to invade my front flower beds. It weaves itself into plants and bushes
and tries to choke them. It does send out those small coily springs that
you mentioned too.

Someone else may have a different name for it.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"R.C. Keely" wrote in message
.. .
I'm in southern Ontario, Canada; hoping someone is familiar with this
plant (weed?) that has a "throwing" mechanism:

About 6 inches tall, is growing in patches in dry sunny areas, has pale
green, sparse needle-like leaves less than 1" long on upright stalks...
I noticed for the first time today its interesting ability to hurl many
small projectiles when the plant is lightly touched or walked on. It
throws them a couple feet up and out. They must be seeds of some kind,
but on examination appear as tiny green coils or springs, 2-3 mm in
size... does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks,
Rebecca
--
Get the lead out to reply by email.