Old 17-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Any advice for Celosia?

"GSHATTERHAND" wrote in message
Thank you, Doug, for all the suggestions.

I live in Cleveland, OH.

I will stop misting them and water my celosia by pouring water onto the

soil.
They are planted in variously sized small pots all with drainage holes. I

will
also try storing my plant water in a bucket overnight in case the chlorine

is
harmful to them.

There is a hot water heater in the same room as the plants. No other

appliance
in the room that uses gas. You are right, of course, these plants have

been
indoors too long already. Much longer than any previous year.

I asked about gas appliances because even miniscule amounts of natural gas
will kill seedlings. I used to start my seeds in my basement, where there
was a very old furnace which released just a puff of gas before it ignited.
It was enough for me to smell, for just a few seconds of each heating cycle.
A local gardening article tipped me off to the problem, and it said that the
amount needed to harm seedlings can be so little that you won't detect it.

If you're curious, your local power company will stop by for free and
measure for leaks.