Old 17-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Problem with Marigolds

"Boris Nogoodnik" wrote in message
. ..

Interesting thing is that some types (I don't remember the
names) grow well, some don't. The ones that grow well, have big
round yellow flowers. Other types with smaller reddish flowers
don't survive. I'll take some pix tomorrow, put them on the web
and post a link here. May be someone will be able to figure out
something from the pictures.

Well, remember that the list of qualities plant breeders look for may not
always include vigor. With regard to marigolds, they *may* assume that
certain seeds will only be sold to professional growers, who will do all the
right things before selling the resulting plants. But, if those plants end
up being managed by retail knuckleheads like Wal Mart and many supermarkets,
they may be crippled by the time you buy them. Even some nurseries don't
take very good care of their stock.

For $100 (shop lights, collapsible saw horses, plywood to make a temporary
table), you could be raising your own stuff from seed. It'll pay for itself
quickly not just in terms of cost, but also a wider universe of seed
choices, and total control over how the plants are handled. Combine this
setup with a healthy addiction to Burpee seeds, and you'll be a happy guy.