Old 17-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Ponds...

Never would have thought it. I've lived in various areas in Durham and
the most I have ever had to deal with when digging were tree roots.
Rarely even hit much more than a fist sized rock. (Which is the exact
opposite of digging in southwestern PA where I grew up - if you're going
to dig, you *always* have a pick axe nearby.) Well, over the weekend my
s.o.'s stepdad and I started digging a small garden pond in our
backyard. About 6" down, we hit sandstone. After about 30 minutes of
working it over with a pickaxe, we decided heavy equipment was the order
for the day so we rented an electric jackhammer. *laugh* Still no end
in sight when we got down 30" which is where we stopped.

Guess we don't have to worry about the pond sinking or the house going
anywhere.... *grin*

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu