Old 17-06-2003, 05:32 PM
R.C. Keely

Default Interesting weed, ID help?

I'm going to have another cup of coffee and agree with Penny.

Vetch fits your description.
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/...eets/crown.htm

Other than being taller, with different leaves, different habit,
different colored flowers, and liking to have its 'feet wet',
Jewelweed was a pretty good guess.g [At least it does throw it
seeds--- that is about all they have in common.]

Hmmm... no, it doesn't really look like either vetch or jewelweed but I
gave a poor description, I know. I saw it at a farm yesterday so I'm
going on memory.

The leaves are more like needles, but soft, and the plant is upright,
not creeping or twining. The little coils it throws aren't visible
when you look at it; it seems to create them from the straight needles
somehow when it's touched. It's some interesting mechanism... if I ran
my hand up the plant, I could feel it "snapping" to make the little
coils and it throws them quite far.

I am looking at some photo databases, it must be there somewhere... ;-)
Thank you both.

Rebecca
--
Get the lead out to reply by email.