Old 17-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Judith Umbria

Default Globe Artichokes

"The Reid" wrote in message
news
Following up to Judith Umbria

Globe (but not violettas) will also have a choke

I have not seen violettas on sale here, but they are in my Italian
cookbooks, I think Violetta de Chioggia is the full name?

Perhaps I have to remove a lot more stuff.
--
Mike Reid

The violetta tends to need much less preparation, BUT if you dress them with
oil and garlic the garlic turns bright turquoise. You need a sense of humor
or adventure.
When those globes are fresh, you can snap off tough parts with your hands.
Continue until you reach the thin inner leaves, then cut the top off to
eliminate those spiny bits. Then open, scrape out the choke and there's
your lovely, easy to eat artichoke.
Very young ones are delicious sliced very thin and eaten in salad, or as I
once did on a picnic in Morocco, and I was shaking my head no the entire
time, just salt and munch like an apple. It turns out a nod-nod, yes-yes
experience.
So you think you may have one violetta? Those are sometimes called carciofi
romani here, and that's not Chioggia, maybe there's more than one variety?