Old 17-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Default Catt growing pattern (strang?)

I knew about the two types, just not the english terminoligy.
But bifoliate forms have often thin longer pseudobulbs whereas unifoliates
are often oval shaped. (thikker)
At least that is what I have been told. My experiences have only supported
that. Take for example de Catt's Intermedia, Harrisoniana, amethystoglossa,
Interglossa, schilleriana, gutata ... all thin pseudobulbs and bifoliate.

Now take the catt's, walkeriana, aureum, labiata, warsewitsii, irricolor
.... thikker and unifoliate.

Of course I allso know of exeption like the catt's bowringiana and
(skinnerii?) ... thikker and bifoliate.

As a general rule I have often found this to be true. For botanical and
hybrid plants.
My sources could be completely off, if so, than so am I. In that case, you
all have my sincere appolligies and I bow down to your greater experience
and will once again have learned something new because of this newsgroep.

Sorry if I don't always use the right words to describe a plant or
situation. The terms are not always the same in Dutch as in English.

Respectfully

Peter

"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" schreef in bericht
Here's a theory for you: cattleyas come in unifoliate and bifoliate

forms.
"Pure" unifoliates rarely, if ever, sprout a second leaf. Bifoliates have

fair tendency to throw a third. Now hybridize the two and think about

what
you're going to see.

I suspect that the more bifoliates in the hybrid's background, the more
likely of multifoliate growth. Again, there are no absolutes, it's just
chance, and best I can tell is in no way related to condition of the

plant.